Following recent government changes to the teaching of Personal, Health and Social Education (PHSE) as explained here, it is a statutory requirement that all schools teach Relationships and Sex Education (RSE) as a fundamental part of the curriculum.
We have consulted with children, staff, parents and governors to ensure there is a general consensus on our approaches to policy and curriculum content this happened between 15th December 2020 and Friday 8th January 2021.
At Hawes Side Academy, we teach Personal, Social, Health Education as a whole-school approach to underpin children’s development as people and because we believe that these are the foundations that allow our pupils’ learning to flourish.
The vision for pupils, staff and others linked to our school is to always look to achieve our personal best in every aspect of school life.
- Our school is one where everyone is encouraged and supported to achieve their personal best.
- Our school is welcoming, inclusive, has a real community feel and is a place where everyone is valued.
- Our pupils and staff treat each other equitably, fairly, with kindness and with mutual respect. At all times, staff and pupils are encouraged to show a high regard for the needs and feelings of others through their actions and words.
- Our pupils and staff are enterprising and approach challenges with a ‘can-do’ attitude.
- The needs and interests of all pupils, irrespective of gender, culture, ability or aptitude, will be promoted through an inclusive and varied PSHE curriculum at our school.
- Our environment is safe and clean with everyone sharing responsibility for it.
- Our culture is one of continuous improvement, creativity and enthusiasm.
Please see our PHSE policy below.
For information about what is covered in each of our year groups please see the information below.